Wave of hornet attacks kills at least 18 in China
BEIJING (AP) - An unusual spate of hornet attacks in central China has killed at least 18 people.
Mr Zhou Yuanhong, a health official in the Angkang city area of Shaanxi province, said on Thursday that more than 100 people in the area had been stung by swarms of the insects in recent months and treated in Ankang City Central Hospital, and that 18 of them had died.
The local state-run newspaper Huashangbao reported that 21 had died in hospitals.
Zhou said that a handful of people are killed every year in the region by hornets, especially in forested areas, but this year has been unusually severe, possibly because of weather changes.