Wednesday, Sep 17, 2014Wednesday, Sep 17, 2014
News
 

US confirms attack on consulate vehicle in Pakistan

Published on Sep 3, 2012 3:54 PM
 
Pakistani rescuers inspect the badly damaged US consulate vehicle at a bomb blast site in Peshawar on Sept 3, 2012. The US embassy in Islamabad denied reports that two Americans had been killed in a suicide car bomb attack in Pakistan's northwestern city of Peshawar. A Pakistan intelligence official confirmed the US consulate car was the target, with another saying a suicide bomber ploughed his vehicle into it. -- PHOTO: AFP

ISLAMABAD (AFP) - The United States confirmed that an American vehicle was attacked in the city of Peshawar in north-west Pakistan on Monday, wounding two American and two Pakistani consulate staff.

The information minister of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, Mian Iftikhar Hussain, insisted in the regional parliament that two Americans were also killed, without giving any further details on their identity.

A US State Department statement referred only to staff working for the US consulate in Peshawar. Spokesman Victoria Nuland said no US consulate staff were killed, but said the United States was "seeking further information about other victims of this heinous act".

"We can confirm that a vehicle belonging to the US consulate in Peshawar was hit in an apparent terrorist attack," she said in a statement released by the embassy in Islamabad.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here