Sunday, Apr 26, 2015Sunday, Apr 26, 2015

Two sisters die after drinking poison-laced yoghurt in Hebei

Published on May 4, 2013 8:16 AM
The family grieving over the body of the five-year-old girl at a morgue in Pingshan county, Hebei province, on Wednesday. She died after a week in hospital while her sister died within hours of drinking the poisoned yoghurt. -- PHOTO: INTERNET PICTURE

BEIJING - Chinese police have arrested the head of a kindergarten and her associate over the deaths of two children from a rival school who drank yoghurt injected with rat poison, state media have said.

The five-year-old and six-year-old sisters from a village in northern Hebei province died after consuming the yoghurt drink which they had found in a bag on a roadside while walking to school with their grandmother.

Kindergarten director Shi Haixia and her associate Yang Wenming "admitted that they injected the poison into the yoghurt and left it on the street", the China Daily reported yesterday. "Their intention was to damage the reputation of the rival kindergarten."

The drink contained a strong rat poison called tetramine, the China Daily said, citing a local security official.

Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!