Two more Japanese confirmed dead in Algeria crisis
TOKYO (AP) - Two more Japanese citizens were confirmed to have died during a hostage crisis last week in Algeria, the Japanese government said, bringing the total number to nine. One Japanese worker remains missing.
The victims worked for a Japanese engineering company, JGC Corp., at a natural gas plant in the Sahara Desert. Seven other Japanese workers for the company survived the hostage-taking.
Islamist militants seized the gas field and held scores of foreigners from a number of countries hostage for four days until Algerian special forces stormed the plant Saturday. Algeria's prime minister has said that at least 37 hostages and 29 militants were killed.
"Using violence is not forgivable whatever the cause," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said Wednesday evening after confirming that officials found the bodies of the two Japanese among a group of unidentified victims. "We strongly condemn terrorist activities." "It is extremely regrettable," Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told reporters today.