Toxic cough syrup kills 16 in Pakistan, pharmacies close
Published on Nov 26, 2012 3:32 PM
LAHORE, Pakistan (AFP) - At least 16 people have died after drinking a toxic cough syrup in the Pakistani city of Lahore, forcing authorities to close three pharmacies and a medicine factory, officials said on Monday.
The deaths occurred in the low-income Shahdra Town neighbourhood between Friday and Sunday, with the victims mostly drug addicts who took the syrup to get high, said local police station chief Atif Zulfiqar.
The scandal comes after around 100 heart patients died in January in Lahore, Pakistan's second largest city, after taking faulty medicine made locally.
"Some of the victims were found dead in a graveyard where addicts used to take different kinds of drugs," said the police chief. Seven others died in hospital.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!