Three Japanese die after Guam tourist attack
Published on Feb 14, 2013 6:31 PM
HAGATNA (AFP) - Many of the victims of a frenzied knife attack in the Pacific nation of Guam had been on the island to attend a wedding, it emerged Thursday, as the death toll from the attack rose to three.
Survivors and witnesses told of their horror as a man clutching 30 centimetre-long knives in each hand launched a bloody attack on unsuspecting holidaymakers after ploughing into them with his car.
All 14 victims, including an eight-month-old baby and a three-year-old toddler, were Japanese.
Two women, 29-year-old Rie Sugiyama and her grandmother Kazuko Uehara, 81, were pronounced dead on Wednesday. A third victim, a so-far unidentified 51-year-old man, succumbed to his injuries on Thursday, medics said.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!