Tens of thousands set for South Korea's 'battle of the singles'
Published on Dec 11, 2012 6:00 PM
SEOUL (AFP) - Tens of thousands of lovelorn South Koreans are set to take part in a "battle of the singles" on Christmas Eve - a mass dating event triggered by an innocuous query posted on Facebook last month.
More than 36,000 people have signed up for the event in a park in central Seoul since two young men jokingly floated the idea on the social networking site and met with an overwhelming response.
"We only asked 'What do you plan to do on Christmas Eve?' and people started to leave thousands of comments that they were single and miserable and had nothing to do," Justin Chanwook Jang, one of the two organisers, said.
"So we suggested this idea to help lonely singles find love on Christmas Eve ... we never imagined it would grow this big," said 29-year-old Jang, who plans to participate himself.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!