Suspect in Mekong massacre pleads guilty in Chinese court
BEIJING (REUTERS) - A Burmese drug runner and five members of his gang have pleaded guilty in a Chinese court to murdering 13 Chinese sailors on the Mekong River, state media said, in a case that has marked China's growing law enforcement role beyond its borders.
Naw Kham was extradited to China by Laos officials in May, the chief suspect in the killings of Chinese boat crews last year in the Golden Triangle region known for drug smuggling where the borders of Laos, Myanmar and Thailand meet.
It was one of the deadliest assaults on Chinese nationals overseas in modern times and caused Beijing to send gunboat patrols to the region downstream from its borders.
Naw Kham, in his 40s, pleaded guilty at the Intermediate People's Court of Kunming in south-west China during a two-day trial in which he "expressed his penitence to the victims and their families", the official Xinhua news agency said late on Friday.