South-west China landslide kills 18, dozens more buried
Published on Jan 11, 2013 4:38 PM
BEIJING (AFP) - A landslide in southwestern China's Yunnan Province on Friday killed at least 18 people, including seven from one family, with more than two dozen others trapped, state media and local authorities said.
A total of 46 people were buried in the disaster in landslide-prone province, 18 of whom were killed, the official Xinhua news agency said.
The Zhenxiong county government gave the same death toll.
Emergency teams had so far rescued two villagers after the landslide, which buried 16 homes, the provincial government said. It also reported the deaths of the seven family members.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!