Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014
News
 

South Korean President urges new talks on separated families

Published on Mar 4, 2014 3:03 PM
 
South Koreans bid farewell to their North Korean relatives from the window of a departing bus on the last day of family reuinons at the Mount Kumgang resort area of North Korea on Feb 25, 2014. South Korean President Park Geun Hye on Tuesday, Mar 4, 2014, called for new talks with North Korea on allowing families separated by the Korean War to exchange letters and hold reunions via video conferencing. -- FILE PHOTO: AFP 

SEOUL (AFP) - South Korean President Park Geun Hye on Tuesday called for new talks with North Korea on allowing families separated by the Korean War to exchange letters and hold reunions via video conferencing.

Ms Park said that more than 6,000 people should meet with relatives from the other side every year if all separated families are to see their loved ones at least once before they die, according the president's office.

"Many families do not have time to wait any more," she said, urging her cabinet to push for talks with North Korea on letter exchanges and video reunions for separated families.

Ms Park last week said the two Koreas should hold family reunions on a regular basis, but Pyongyang has not responded to the offer, which came after the two Koreas wrapped up their first reunion in more than three years.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here