South Korea extends reactor shutdown after 2 workers drown
Published on Jan 9, 2014 10:53 AM
SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea's nuclear operator said on Thursday it had been told to extend the shutdown of a nuclear reactor to improve safety after two workers drowned this week when the water level in a drain rose.
Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power was ordered by a local labour office to keep the plant closed until it had strengthened safety for workers after the deaths on Monday.
The 1,000MW Hanbit No. 5 reactor had already been closed for scheduled maintenance due to last from Dec 12 to Jan 19.
South Korea has been under pressure to ensure stable power supply due to a nuclear safety scandal which led to shutdowns of some nuclear reactors in a country where about a third of its electricity comes from nuclear power.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here