Red Cross helps N. Korea flood victims as toll rises
Published on Aug 2, 2012 1:51 PM
SEOUL (AFP) - The Red Cross said on Thursday it had allocated almost $308,000 (S$384,000) for victims of North Korea's floods and storms, after state media reported 119 deaths and major crop damage in the food-scarce nation.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) will spend the money to cover the cost of immediate help for some 2,500 families, said IFRC regional spokesman Francis Markus.
The North's official news agency on Wednesday reported 31 killed by landslides and lightning during storms on Sunday and Monday and 16 missing, in addition to 88 earlier reported dead in floods last month.
More than 21,000 people were left homeless by the latest storms, bringing the total made homeless by recent bad weather to around 84,000, it said.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!