Pakistan quake death toll rises to 376 as relief work continues
ISLAMABAD (AFP) - The death toll from a strong quake that hit south-west Pakistan last week rose to 376 on Tuesday as relief work in the shattered area continued, the national disaster management agency said.
The deadly 7.7-magnitude quake shook the province of Baluchistan on Sept 24, making more than 100,000 people homeless. A 6.8-magnitude earthquake struck the area again on Saturday, killing at least 22 people.
"At least 330 people died in Awaran district and 46 in Kech, while 824 people were wounded," the agency said in a statement, referring to the toll in two areas badly affected by the first earthquake.
The figures did not include the second tremor. A previous death toll from the first quake stood at 359.