One dead, seven injured by contaminated China parcels
BEIJING (AFP) - A man was killed and seven others were injured in China after receiving parcels from a delivery company that had become contaminated with toxic chemicals, it was reported on Saturday.
The unnamed man, from China's eastern Shandong province, died after taking delivery of a box of shoes in late November which were tainted with methyl fluoroacetate, a highly toxic chemical, the Xinhua news agency reported citing the local post bureau.
The bureau said four parcels delivered by Shanghai YTO Express, a private delivery company, were found to be contaminated by the chemicals, sickening five delivery workers and two recipients. The report did not state the condition of the injured.
Xinhua said YTO had apologised for the accident and quoted a spokesman as saying that the contamination occurred after a package containing the toxic chemical leaked during transport.