North Korea blames US over cancellation of envoy's visit
SEOUL (AFP) - North Korea on Saturday blamed Washington for the cancellation of a visit by a special American envoy to Pyongyang, citing joint United States-South Korea military drills described as the "most blatant nuclear blackmail".
On Friday, the US State Department said North Korea had cancelled the invitation to an envoy who was to have sought the release of an American citizen held prisoner in the reclusive state.
News of the planned trip by US diplomat Robert King had raised hopes that Kenneth Bae, a 44-year-old American who has been held prisoner in North Korea since November, might be released.
Mr King had been due to fly to Pyongyang on Friday, but the State Department said the visit had been cancelled after North Korea rescinded its invitation.