No sign of life detected on stricken Indian submarine: Navy
MUMBAI (AFP) - Indian navy divers have entered a stricken submarine which exploded and sank on Wednesday in Mumbai but have detected no signs of life from the 18 crewmen on board, the navy said.
Asked if there had been any communication with survivors, chief of naval staff D.K. Joshi told a press conference: "Of course not. I would have said so if we had."
He added: "There is a possibility of an air pocket. Whilst the indicators are negative, one cannot lose hope."
Mr Joshi added that divers had entered the vessel through the main hatch and would begin pumping out the water to try to float the submarine to the surface.