Sunday, Dec 28, 2014Sunday, Dec 28, 2014
 

No new H7N9 cases in China for second week: Government

Published on May 27, 2013 7:38 PM
 
An elderly woman wears a face mask as she walks on an overpass in Beijing on May 2, 2013. No new human cases of the deadly H7N9 bird flu strain were recorded in China for the second week in a row, national health authorities said on Monday, suggesting the outbreak has slowed. -- FILE PHOTO: AFP

BEIJING (AFP) - No new human cases of the deadly H7N9 bird flu strain were recorded in China for the second week in a row, national health authorities said on Monday, suggesting the outbreak has slowed.

The total number of fatalities from the virus stands at 37, after one previously infected patient died in the week beginning on May 20, the National Health and Family Planning Commission said in a statement.

But the total number of confirmed cases was unchanged at 130. Of those, 76 have recovered and been discharged from hospital, it said, adding that no evidence of human-to-human transmission had been detected so far.

One other case was recorded in Taiwan.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here