No attempt to shoot down North Korea rocket: Japan
Published on Dec 12, 2012 9:38 AM
TOKYO (AFP) - Japan did not try to shoot down a North Korean rocket as it passed over its southern island chain of Okinawa, the government said on Wednesday, strongly condemning the launch.
Tokyo confirmed the launch had taken place and that said it believed parts of the rocket had fallen into the sea off the Korean peninsula, with another part dropping into the ocean near the Philippines.
"Launch time was around 9.49am (8.49am Singapore time). The missile that North Korea calls a satellite passed over Okinawa around 10.01am. We launched no interception," a government statement said.
Japan had been on high alert since the 13-day lift-off window opened, despite a suggestion from Pyongyang that it could delay the much-criticised blast-off.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!