Mumbai building collapse death toll hits 45: Official
MUMBAI (AFP) - The death toll from the collapse of a five-storey Mumbai apartment block jumped to 45 and was expected to rise as rescuers worked through the night searching for more victims trapped under rubble, officials said on Saturday.
“We’ve got 45 bodies now and that number is likely to rise though we still hope for survivors,” Mr Alok Avasthy, a senior official of the National Disaster Management Authority told AFP as emergency crews struggled to find other people still missing as a result of the Friday cave-in.
At least 15 of the dead were women, the senior rescue official said, while a number of those rescued were being treated in hospital.
Local officials said 22 families had been housed in the block owned by the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai in the city's eastern suburbs.