Maldivian president ends re-election bid
MALE (AFP) - Maldivian President Mohamed Waheed has withdrawn his candidature for fresh elections which were ordered by the Supreme Court after a previous round of voting was annulled, an official said on Saturday.
Mr Waheed quit the re-election bid after getting just over five per cent of the popular vote at the September 7 elections which were controversially cancelled by the country's highest court earlier this week.
"President Waheed has decided not to contest in the re-run of the Presidential elections scheduled for October 19," his spokesman Masood Imad said.
Mr Waheed was humiliated during the first round, which was won by his predecessor Mohamed Nasheed who secured 45.45 per cent of the vote in an election international observers said were free and fair.