Maldives ex-president in embassy refuge no longer faces arrest: Govt
Published on Feb 14, 2013 4:33 PM
MALE (REUTERS) - Former Maldives president Mohamed Nasheed no longer faces arrest, a government spokesman said on Thursday, a day after Nasheed took refuge in India's embassy because he feared being detained and his supporters clashed with police outside.
Mr Nasheed, the Maldives' first democratically elected leader, who left office last year in contested circumstances, entered the Indian High Commission as police attempted to arrest him in connection with a court case.
His supporters, who say Mr Nasheed was ousted last February in a coup, have frequently clashed with security forces in the Indian Ocean archipelago which is best known as a luxury holiday destination.
Police arrested 16 protesters near the High Commission on Wednesday on charges of obstructing police duty, breaking police cordons, entering closed areas and threatening officers. All arrested were later released, police said in a release.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!