Thursday, Sep 18, 2014Thursday, Sep 18, 2014
News
 

Maldives denies deal as ex-president Nasheed back in action

Published on Feb 24, 2013 2:40 PM
 
Former Maldives President Mohamed Nasheed (2nd right) leaves the Indian High Commission in Male, Feb 23, 2013. The Maldivian government on Sunday denied any deal to allow Mr Nasheed to end his refuge at the Indian embassy in the capital and resume election campaigning without fear of arrest. --PHOTO: REUTERS

MALE (AFP) - The Maldivian government on Sunday denied any deal to allow ex-president Mohamed Nasheed to end his refuge at the Indian embassy in the capital and resume election campaigning without fear of arrest.

Presidential spokesman Abbas Riaz said Mr Nasheed walked out of the embassy on Saturday afternoon of his own will and there was no agreement with an Indian mediator who rushed to the Maldives last week to resolve a tense standoff.

"There is no deal, absolutely no deal with the Indians or anyone else," Mr Riaz told AFP, in the government's first reaction to Mr Nasheed leaving the embassy to resume his political work.

Mr Nasheed, 45, sought refuge at the embassy on Feb 13, straining ties between regional power India and its small neighbour Maldives, after an arrest warrant was issued following his failure to attend court.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here