Saturday, Nov 22, 2014Saturday, Nov 22, 2014
News
 

Maldivain ex-leader exits Indian embassy: New Delhi

Published on Feb 23, 2013 8:15 PM
 
Former Maldives president Mohamed Nasheed arrives at the High Court to secure an injunction against a lower court which was due to try him later in the day on charges of abuse of power when he was the head of state in Male on Nov 4, 2012. Nasheed left the Indian embassy in the capital Male on Saturday, an Indian official said, 10 days after he sought refuge in the mission in a bid to avoid arrest. -- PHOTO: AFP

NEW DELHI (AFP) - Former Maldives president Mohamed Nasheed left the Indian embassy in the capital Male on Saturday, an Indian official said, 10 days after he sought refuge in the mission in a bid to avoid arrest.

Nasheed's exit came after a Maldivian court earlier this week postponed his trial for abuse of power when he was in office and India sent an envoy to the nation of 330,000 Sunni Muslims to try and end the political standoff.

"He (Nasheed) entered India's mission on Feb 13th of his own volition and decided to leave on his own," Indian foreign ministry spokesman Syed Akbaruddin said in New Delhi.

Nasheed, 45, is accused of abusing his powers after he won the first free elections in 2008 in the Indian Ocean holiday destination. The pro-democracy campaigner was ousted last year following a mutiny by police and troops.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here