Monday, Apr 21, 2014Monday, Apr 21, 2014
News
 

Iran quits nuclear talks protesting US blacklist move

Published on Dec 13, 2013 8:04 PM
PRINT EMAIL
 

TEHERAN (AFP) - Iran has quit nuclear talks with the major powers, accusing Washington on Friday of going against the spirit of a landmark agreement reached last month by expanding its sanctions blacklist.

A spokesman for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, who represents the powers in the talks, said both sides had headed home for consultations and that she expected the talks to resume soon.

But Iran's chief nuclear negotiator Abbas Araqchi said the US move went against the spirit of the deal struck in Geneva under which the powers undertook to impose no further sanctions for six months and Teheran was weighing the "appropriate response".

"America's move is against the spirit of the Geneva deal," Araqchi told the Fars news agency as his team headed back to Teheran from Vienna.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here