Indian terror suspect escapes from court in Mumbai: Police
Published on Sep 20, 2013 9:09 PM
MUMBAI (AFP) - An Indian terror suspect accused of involvement in deadly bomb attacks five years ago escaped from a court in Mumbai on Friday, sparking a massive manhunt, the police said.
Afzal Usmani, allegedly a member of a home-grown Islamist group known as the Indian Mujahideen, was appearing in court to hear prosecution charges against him, according to local media reports.
"He has escaped. The police, everybody is looking for him," Mumbai's anti-terror squad chief Rakesh Maria told AFP.
Usmani was arrested in 2008 for his alleged involvement earlier that year in serial blasts in western Gujarat state which killed 56 people.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!