Friday, May 22, 2015Friday, May 22, 2015
News
 

India probes series of blasts in Pune

Published on Aug 2, 2012 3:12 PM
 
An Indian man walks past the blast site outside a MacDonald's outlet in Pune on Aug 2, 2012. Four low-intensity blasts hit the western Indian city of Pune on Aug 1, injuring one person on the same day as a scheduled visit which was cancelled at the last minute by the country's new home minister Sushilkumar Shinde. -- PHOTO: AFP

PUNE (AFP) - Federal anti-terror agents joined local police in the western Indian city of Pune on Thursday to probe a series of low-intensity blasts the night before when the new home minister had been due to visit.

The four explosives went off in succession beginning shortly after 7.30pm (10pm Singapore time) on Wednesday, targeting a bustling restaurant and shopping area in the town in central Maharashtra state and injuring one person.

National security and forensic teams arrived in Pune early on Thursday and were examining two unexploded devices, Home Secretary R.K. Singh told reporters.

"Even though the blasts were very small, the fact that they happened in a one-kilometre area and went off in a 40 minute period shows that there was planning behind it," he said.

 
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!
 

Videos