India minister vows revenge after deadly Maoist attack
Published on Mar 12, 2014 4:40 PM
NEW DELHI (AFP) - India's home minister on Wednesday vowed to exact revenge for a deadly ambush by Maoist rebels, as undercover agents tried to track down the attackers in their forest hideouts.
"The way our soldiers have lost their lives, we will definitely take revenge for this," Mr Sushilkumar Shinde told reporters on a visit to the central state of Chhattisgarh, a day after the attack which left 16 dead.
Mr Shinde said members of India's National Investigation Agency (NIA) had already taken up positions inside the thick forests where the rebels are believed to have taken refuge.
On Tuesday morning, some 200 rebels in the south of Chhattisgarh ambushed a security patrol which was on a mission to open a road in a heavily-forested area, sparking a gun battle that lasted for three hours.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!