China's Huawei 'maintained calm' during NSA hacking reports
Published on Mar 31, 2014 1:29 PM
SHENZHEN (REUTERS) - China's Huawei Technologies Co Ltd "maintained calm" and operated "business as usual" after media reports saying the U.S. accessed servers at the telecom giant's Shenzhen headquarters, acting Chief Executive Eric Xu said on Monday.
Earlier this month, the New York Times and Der Spiegel cited documents leaked by former U.S. security contractor Edward Snowden as saying the National Security Agency obtained sensitive data and monitored Huawei executives' communications.
"If the New York Times report is true, I think we will have known about this long ago," Mr Xu said at a press briefing in Shenzhen after the company reported its 2013 earnings results.
"Nobody has ever said that Huawei has the capacity to spy on the U.S. network and things like that," said Mr Xu. "For a business organisation, no one would be so unwise as to do such a thing.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!