China war dead could return home from South Korea
BEIJING (AP) - The remains of hundreds of Chinese soldiers killed in the Korean War may finally return home, 60 years after an armistice ended the fighting.
On a visit to China last week, South Korean President Park Geun Hye offered to send back the remains of about 360 Chinese solders buried in a cemetery outside the city of Paju, a friendly gesture highlighting warming ties between the former combatants.
"Families in China must be waiting for their return," Park told Chinese Vice-Premier Liu Yandong, according to a statement from President Park's office.
Vice-Premier Liu promised to pass the message to China's top leaders, though it's unclear whether Beijing will accept the offer. Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said on Wednesday that she didn't know where China stood on the offer, but added that the issue should be "resolved on the basis of humanitarianism".