China punishes 48 people over deadly Sinopec blast
Published on Jan 10, 2014 7:40 PM
BEIJING (REUTERS) - China has punished 48 people, including the chairman of Asia's top refiner, for one of the country's worst industrial disasters last year that killed 62 people, state news agency Xinhua said on Friday.
The blast at the eastern oil hub of Qingdao in November was China Petroleum & Chemical Corp's (Sinopec) deadliest known accident.
China's cabinet, or State Council, has agreed to "discipline" 48 people, including Sinopec Chairman Fu Chengyu and the mayor of Qingdao, Zhang Xinchao, over the oil pipeline explosion, according to Xinhua's microblog.
Fifteen people, who are suspected of crimes, have had their cases transferred to judicial authorities, Xinhua said.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!