China pulls paper over flood story: Rights group
Published on Aug 7, 2012 9:22 PM
BEIJING (AFP) - China has pulled a Beijing newspaper from the newsstands after it criticised the official handling of July floods and said the government had underreported the death toll, a rights group said on Tuesday.
Authorities in China's capital have faced strong public criticism over their response to the heaviest rains in more than 60 years, which submerged major highways and killed 79 people at the last official count.
But the government has been quick to censor criticism in state-run media, and Chinese Human Rights Defenders said this week's edition of the Economic Observer had been pulled and the critical article deleted from the paper's website.
The article, seen by AFP, focused on three men who were seen on July 21 being washed away by flood waters in Beijing's mountain resort town of Shidu and the subsequent search for them by their family and friends.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!