China medical student given death for poisoning roommate
Published on Feb 18, 2014 1:47 PM
SHANGHAI (AFP) - A medical student who murdered his roommate at a prestigious Shanghai university by poisoning a drinking water dispenser was sentenced to death by a Chinese court on Tuesday.
The Shanghai Number Two Intermediate People's Court said Lin Senhao committed homicide "out of spite" using the toxic chemical N-Nitrosodimethylamine, taken from a laboratory of a Shanghai hospital where he was an intern.
At his trial in November last year, Lin claimed the poisoning of his Fudan University roommate was an April Fool's Day prank, the Shanghai Daily newspaper reported. The victim, Huang Yang, drank the water on April 1 and died on April 16.
N-Nitrosodimethylamine is primarily used for research. Exposure in humans may cause liver damage and affect the blood, according to the US Environmental Protection Agency.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!