China keeps mum on Bo trial despite talk it could start Monday
Published on Jan 27, 2013 7:13 PM
BEIJING (REUTERS) - China's government is giving no details on the trial of shamed senior leader Bo Xilai, the final chapter in its worst political scandal in decades, as speculation mounted the case could be heard as early as Monday.
A Beijing-backed Hong Kong newspaper, the Ta Kung Pao, reported on Friday that Bo's trial would begin on Monday in the southern Chinese city of Guiyang.
The government has not confirmed or denied this, belying recent efforts to promote transparency and openness, and at least two well-informed sources said the reports were not true. However, a third source, who has ties to the leadership, said the trial would, in fact, begin on Monday in Guiyang.
It was not immediately possible to reconcile the conflicting reports. Reuters reporters in Guiyang said they could see no signs of heightened security so far, either around the main courthouse or in any other part of the city.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!