15 die from ammonia leak at seafood company in Shanghai
SHANGHAI (AFP) - A liquid ammonia leak from a refrigeration unit at a food company in China's commercial hub of Shanghai killed 15 people on Saturday, the local government said.
The leak also sickened at least 26 others, who had been sent to hospital, with six in critical condition, the Shanghai government said in a statement.
The incident occurred shortly before midday on Saturday in the city's northern district of Baoshan at a cold storage unit owned by a seafood company, media reports said.
Photos on the website of the Xinmin Evening News, a local newspaper, showed fire trucks at the scene with hoses on the ground.