57 children hospitalised in India after being given wrong vaccine
KOLKATA (AFP) - Almost 60 children were taken to hospital in eastern India after they were mistakenly instructed to swallow a Hepatitis B vaccine instead of polio drops, officials said Monday.
The children started vomiting and sweating after they were orally given Hepatitis B vaccine, which is normally injected, at clinics in a village in West Bengal state on Sunday, the health officials said.
Some 120 children in total swallowed the medication at the clinics, set up to administer polio vaccine drops as part of a campaign to eradicate the disease, before health workers discovered the mistake, said Dr Biswaranjan Sathpaty, director of West Bengal Health Services.
"A total of 57 children started vomiting immediately after they were administered the wrong vaccine," he told AFP.