Olympics: S. Korean badminton coach apologises over match-fixing
(THE KOREA HERALD/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - The head of South Korea's disgraced badminton delegation issued his first public apology on Friday over his players' connection to controversial match-throwing attempts at the London Olympics.
"I deeply apologise for tainting the honour of Korea," Sung Han Kook, the badminton head coach, told reporters at Wembley Arena, the venue for badminton matches. "I recognise my failure to live up to the responsibility as the head coach to properly manage the athletes."
Sung's apology came two days after two South Korean female doubles pairs - Jung Kyung Eun and Kim Ha Na, and Ha Jung Eun and Kim Min Jung - were tossed from the Olympics, along with a Chinese and an Indonesian team, for apparently trying to purposely lose matches on Tuesday to manipulate their knockout stage draw. The Korean Olympic Committee (KOC) has since sent home the four players plus their assistant coach, Kim Moon Soo, for their involvement.
Sung has so far escaped punishment. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) said on Thursday it wants team coaches or even trainers to be disciplined, along with athletes, if they encouraged or ordered players to lose on purpose. The KOC officials said they would seek to determine the exact extent of Sung's role after the Olympics are over.