Malaysia man hurt in explosion when getting rid of rubbish
Published on Sep 18, 2012 3:35 PM
JOHOR BARU (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - A man who wanted to clear debris from a rubbish chute of their flat by burning them was hurt when an explosion from the fire occurred.
Neighbours A. Rahim Arshad, 59, and Mohd Eddie Mohd Kamal, 37, wanted to clear the chute of rubbish at their flat in Bandar Selesa Jaya here. However, one of them dropped a bottle of petrol and caused an explosion which broke a brick wall nearby.
Mr Mohd Eddie said the rubbish had not been collected for about two months and the chute was overflowing and emitted a foul odour. Both men then decided to clear the rubbish by burning the contents at 7.30 pm on Sunday.
"We covered all the slots along the chute and even brought some pails of water in case the fire got out of control. We then ignited a fire with petrol and managed to clear about 70% of the rubbish," he said. Mr Mohd Eddie said the explosion happened when Mr Rahim accidentally dropped a bottle containing petrol into the chute.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!