6 dead, 93 others hospitalised in mass food poisoning in Sapporo
Published on Aug 18, 2012 4:43 PM
SAPPORO, JAPAN (YOMIURI SHIMBUN/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Four people, including a 4-year-old girl, have been confirmed dead of food poisoning from pickled Chinese cabbage produced by a Sapporo food company, it has been learned. Another two are also suspected to have died due to the cabbage.
According to the city healthcare centre, four people have died of poisoning caused by the O-157 strain of E.coli bacteria after eating pickled Chinese cabbage produced in late July by Iwai Shokuhin. Three of the four victims were women in their 80s and 100s living in elderly care facilities in the city.
Mass food poisoning occurred at elderly care facilities in and around the city, with 99 patients likely connected to the suspect cabbage. Four-year-old girl Ayana Matsumura of Sapporo suffered symptoms including diarrhea from Aug 6 and died last Saturday.
The O-157 strain discovered in her body was found to be the same strain detected in the cabbage. According to information relayed to the city by her family, she is very likely to have eaten cabbage bought at a supermarket near her house.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!