Mumbai declares 16 no-selfie zones after incidents

People take selfies at a famous tourist spot near the Arabian sea on Feb 25, 2016.
People take selfies at a famous tourist spot near the Arabian sea on Feb 25, 2016.PHOTO: EPA

NEW DELHI - Mumbai has banned the taking of selfie in 16 locations after a string of incidents, it was reported.

The no-selfie locations, which include popular sea fronts like Bandra Bandstand, Marine Drive and Juhu Chowpatty, a popular destination for young people armed with camera phones, have been declared unsafe by Mumbai police, Xinhua news agency reported.

The move is aimed at discouraging people from putting themselves at risk while taking their own pictures with their mobile phones, the report said.

"The ban has been put in place and violators of the ban will be imposed with a fine of US$17 (S$24)," an official was quoted as saying.

Statistics released earlier this year put India top of the list for self-related deaths, Xinhua reported.

Out of the world's 49 reported selfie deaths since 2014, 19 took place in India, the official broadcaster All India Radio (AIR) said on Friday (Feb 26).

Earlier this month, a person who tried to take a selfie near a dam in the town of Nashik slipped into the water and his classmate who jumped in to save him also drowned.

Last month, an 18-year-old girl drowned after falling into the ocean at Mumbai's Bandstand Fort, a popular tourist site.