Afghan soldier opens fire at British military academy, one killed, several wounded

An Afghan National Army soldier gestures outside the gates of a British-run military academy, where an Afghan soldier opened fire on NATO troops inside the premises, on the outskirts of Kabul on August 5, 2014. An Afghan army soldier opened fire
An Afghan National Army soldier gestures outside the gates of a British-run military academy, where an Afghan soldier opened fire on NATO troops inside the premises, on the outskirts of Kabul on August 5, 2014. An Afghan army soldier opened fire on international and Afghan forces at a British military training academy in Kabul injuring a number of them, the Ministry of Defence said on Tuesday. -- PHOTO: AFP

KABUL (REUTERS, AFP) - One US soldier was killed and 15 more were wounded Tuesday when a man in Afghan military uniform opened fire at an officer academy in Kabul, a US official said.  

“We can confirm that one American was killed and 15 have been wounded,” the official said on condition of anonymity.  The official said that some of the injuries were serious as the gunman shot at fairly close range.  

Officials in Kabul earlier said that three Afghan officers were wounded in the shooting at the British-run academy. The total number of foreign casualties was not immediately clear.

An Afghan army soldier opened fire on international and Afghan forces at a British military training academy in Kabul injuring a number of them, the Ministry of Defence said on Tuesday.

"Today at 12 pm, a terrorist in army uniform opened fire on international partners and other Afghan officers, wounding several," the statement said.

Modelled on Sandhurst, a military academy in Britain, the facility's opening late last year was marred by another insider attack that left two injured.

Such attacks have eroded trust between the allies and complicated efforts to train Afghanistan's new 350,000 strong security force.

In a second, similar attack on Tuesday, several were wounded in eastern Paktia province when a policeman opened fire on international and Afghan forces, police chief Zalmay Oryakhil told Reuters.

The Taleban claim insider attacks reflect their ability to infiltrate the enemy, while ISAF officials say the incidents often arise over misunderstandings or altercations between troops.

In 2012, dozens of incidents forced international troops to take measures to reduce interaction with their Afghan partners and since then, the number of insider attacks has fallen sharply.

Adding to the tensions between the allies on Tuesday, a Nato airstrike hit a vehicle carrying civilians in western Herat province, local officials said, killing four members of one family including two children.

"We strongly condemn the killings by foreign troops and we have reported this to the presidential palace," deputy provincial governor, Aseeluddin Jameh, told Reuters. "The family was coming back from a wedding in Shindand district when they were hit."