KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak has explained to Umno Supreme Council members that he never took money from state investor 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).
Newly-appointed deputy minister Ahmad Maslan, who is a Supreme Counil member, said Najib had explained to the council about allegations of billions of ringgit from 1MDB going into his personal accounts, the Malaysian Insider reported.
The deputy minister rejected claims made by former deputy prime minister Muhyiddin Yassin in a leaked video clip that Najib had admitted to receiving US$700 million (S$956 billion) in his bank accounts, said the news portal.
"It's not true, it was not channeled or otherwise," he was quoted as saying.
"The (Umno) president had already given a briefing to Supreme Council members on the matter, that he had never used money from 1MDB nor put it in his accounts."
The video surfaced on Wednesday showed Muhyiddin talking to several guests and claiming that Najib had admitted that US$700 million of funds were deposited into his account.
The clip with poor audio showed Muhyiddin, who is still Umno's deputy president, speaking to several guests including Kedah Menteri Besar Mukhriz Mahathir, about the money that The Wall Street Journal had alleged was deposited into Najib's accounts over the past two years.
It was the first time that an Umno official had claimed that the US$700 million of funds did flow into the prime mnister's accounts.
Najib himself had repeatedly said he never took any funds for "personal gain", but did not clarify whether he had those bank accounts and whether any funds flowed in.