Two civil servants among three more ISIS terror suspects nabbed in Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR (The STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK): Three suspected terrorists, including two civil servants and a militant who had returned from Syria, were detained following a blitz by the Special Branch Counter Terrorism Division.

The suspects, one of whom had travelled left Malaysia to join the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) group, were detained in Kuala Lumpur and Kedah following raids on their homes on Nov 27 and Nov 28.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said the 38-year-old fighter had been in Syria since December 28 last year and returned to Malaysia on April 8.

Two others arrested were civil servants aged between 23 and 28.

"We believe they have been channelling funds for Malaysians who wish to go to Syria and join the Islamic State terror group," he said in a statement on Tuesday.

He added that the suspects were detained under the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act (Sosma).

Khalid said police were still hunting for five militants believed to be linked to ISIS and Abu Sayyaf, a terror group based in the Philippines.

Former lecturer Dr Mahmud Ahmad (also known as Abu Handzalah) and sundry shop owner Mohd Najib Husen, both 36, are believed to be leaders of a militant group that is training and sending members to fight in Syria and Iraq.

The third person being sought is former Selayang Municipal Council employee Muhammad Joraimee Awang Raimee, 39, also known as Abu Nur.

The two other wanted men are Darul Islam Sabah members Mohd Amin Baco, 31, and Jeknal Adil, 30.