Three ISIS suspects arrested over KL terror plot

KUALA LUMPUR • Malaysian police have arrested three individuals over their suspected involvement in a potential terror attack in Kuala Lumpur.

The plot is purportedly linked to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terror network, reported The Malaysian Insider.

Deputy Inspector-General of Police Noor Rashid Ibrahim said the suspects are a Malaysian, an Indonesian and a Syrian. They were arrested by the Bukit Aman Special Branch Counter Terrorism Division on Thursday.

"The operation is a result of information obtained from suspects arrested previously, who revealed the existence of plans to launch attacks on assets that are of interest to the country, to the West and public- concentrated areas," Deputy Insp- Gen Noor Rashid said in a statement yesterday.

The suspects, aged between 30 and 51 years old, were detained in an apartment not far from Jalan Alor, according to The Malaysian Insider. The Indonesian national was found to have made frequent trips to Yemen and was detected entering Malaysia a few days ago.

"Police are still investigating to confirm if the three are involved in any plans to launch attacks in Malaysia," Deputy Insp-Gen Noor Rashid was quoted as saying.

He said Malaysian police worked with their counterparts from other countries to obtain vital information that led to the arrests of the trio, reported The Star newspaper. The suspects have been detained under the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012.

The United States Embassy, which had issued a travel advisory on Thursday - Hari Raya Haji - on the possibility of a terror attack in Jalan Alor near Bukit Bintang and its surrounding areas, said its advisory was based on "credible threat information regarding a potential terrorist act".

The Australian High Commission in Malaysia cited the US embassy in its own warning to its citizens on its website on Thursday.

The terror plot is believed to be meant as retaliation for the arrests of 10 suspected militants from the ISIS network last month.

Deputy Insp-Gen Noor Rashid reiterated that the security situation is under control and people need not be worried about their safety.

"We are on top of things. We will never let any attack occur in Malaysia," he told The Star.

The suspects, aged between 30 and 51 years old, were detained in an apartment not far from Jalan Alor, according to The Malaysian Insider.

The Indonesian national was found to have made frequent trips to Yemen and was detected entering Malaysia a few days ago.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on September 26, 2015, with the headline 'Three ISIS suspects arrested over KL terror plot'. Print Edition | Subscribe