PUTRAJAYA - Malaysia police said on Tuesday (Aug 16) a preliminary probe did not find any evidence that the SIM card and cellphone used in one of last week's coordinated bomb attacks in Thailand are from Malaysia.
"We have examined the SIM card and also the handphone but so far there is not enough evidence that the card is from us (Malaysia)," Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar told reporters on Tuesday (Aug 16), the Bernama news agency reported.
Tan Sri Khalid added, however, that investigations are still going on.
Major Thai tourist hot spots as well as central areas in Phuket, Phangnga, Surat Thani, Prachuap Khiri Khan and Trang provinces were hit by a string of explosions last Thursday and Friday. There were separate arson attacks in Nakhon Si Thammarat and Krabi.
Four people were killed and over 30 others, including foreigners, injured.
Thai officials had asked for Malaysia's help to investigate the cellphone which was used to trigger one of the blasts in Phuket as they believed the SIM card originated from Malaysia.
The Bernama had reported earlier that a portion of the phone contained a Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission serial number.