Semenyih helicopter crash: All known debris recovered, says Malaysia's Transport Minister

SEMENYIH (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - All the wreckage of the Dauphin 2 helicopter that crashed here, killing all six on board, has been recovered.

Malaysian Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said that after more than three days of searching and scrutinising the area, all known debris had been removed.

"The last three lorries have come out today carrying the smaller parts while the second engine and gearbox was hoisted out by a police helicopter in the afternoon," he told reporters at the crash site command centre on Tuesday.

Mr Liow said although all parts have been recovered from the scene, the area would still be cordonned off to the public until further notice. He said all the parts had been brought to the Police Air Wing Unit Hangar at Sg Besi for further investigation.

"If they inform us that parts are missing, we will resume the search until we are satisfied," he said.

Selangor Police chief Senior Deputy Comm Abdul Samah Mat said among the difficulties faced by personnel at the site were rough terrain and a steep incline.

"The engines and gearbox had rolled down the slope and were in a ravine," he said.

Mr Liow said the black box of the helicopter could only be read by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch in Britain.