Sabah quake: Monday declared day of mourning, says Sabah Chief Minister

The bodies of 11 climbers have been recovered following the 6.0-magnitude quake which struck early Friday in Mount Kinabalu. -- PHOTO: EPA 
The bodies of 11 climbers have been recovered following the 6.0-magnitude quake which struck early Friday in Mount Kinabalu. -- PHOTO: EPA 

KOTA KINABALU - The Sabah state government has declared Monday a day of mourning in remembrance of the victims of the earthquake that struck Sabah early Friday, Bernama reported.

Sabah Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman made the announcement on Saturday in view of the fatalities and injuries suffered from the 5.9 magnitude earthquake.

He said all department and agencies are required to fly the national and state flags at half-mast.

The national-level Kaamatan (harvest) festival, on Sunday had also been cancelled due to the quake.

"Our focus is to restore the situation here and to continue with search and rescue efforts," The Star quoted him as saying.

The bodies of 11 climbers had been recovered following the 6.0-magnitude quake which struck early Friday in Mount Kinabalu, Sabah's minister for tourism Masidi Manjun said in a post on Twitter on Saturday. Eight people were still unaccounted for, he said.

A total of 137 climbers, including several foreigners, who had been stranded when the quake struck have safely returned to the park's headquarters.