Police to question The Malaysian Insider chief editor and other journalists over article

KUALA LUMPUR - The Malaysian Insider (TMI) chief editor Jahabar Sadiq as well as other editors and journalists will be questioned by police concerning an article relating to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).

Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar announced this via his Twitter account on Friday (Feb 26).

He tweeted that the article was said to have caused "confusion" among the public regarding MACC's oversight panel.

The news portal reported on Thursday that a member of the MACC's Operations Review Panel (OPR) said the agency should resubmit its investigation papers on SRC International to the attorney-general as there was enough evidence to frame charges against Prime Minister Najib Razak.

In the evening, access to the news portal was blocked by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) for content it said was a national security threat under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.

The news portal now runs at an alternate domain, The Star Online said.

Two panel members later issued a statement on Thursday night to distance themselves from the report, the news portal said.

According to panel chairman Hamid Bugo and panel member Mohamed Jawhar Hassan, the panel never said "it had enough proof to charge Najib over SRC".

They said the panel had only asked MACC to complete its investigation.

The TMI chief editor, however, said: "We stand by our report."

SRC International, which is owned by the Finance Ministry, is a former subsidiary of debt-ridden state investor 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) which is being investigated for alleged misappropriation of funds .

Attorney-General Apandi Ali last month decided not to press charges against the prime minister over a RM2.6 billion (S$862.4 million) deposit into his personal account and SRC International, citing a lack of evidence.

Mr Apandi had said that US$681 million - which went into Mr Najib's bank accounts just weeks before the 2013 general election - was a donation from the Saudi royal family. He said Mr Najib returned US$620 million a few months later.

Mr Apandi also said Mr Najib was not aware of another sum - of up to RM75 million from SRC International - that was banked into his accounts, having at all times believed he was using the Saudi cash.