One more fleeing terror suspect nabbed in KL: Home minister

KUALA LUMPUR - One more suspect was nabbed on Thursday for alleged involvement in militant activities, Malaysia's Home Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi announced amid an anti-terror sweep.

"We are tracking down the remnants of the group found in the Royal Malaysia Police's (PDRM) list," he was quoted as saying by news agency Bernama.

The suspect, he said, was caught while attempting to leave the country. No further details were given.

On April 28, nine individuals were rounded up by Malaysia's counter-terrorism unit. Three of them were caught in Kedah and six in Selangor.

Another suspect was detained in Kuala Lumpur the next day.

"We want to stop this militant group from recruiting more members through the social media, organisations or individuals," Dr Zahid said at the media conference, stressing that the Malaysian government would not allow the country to become a "launching pad" for terrorists.

The suspects caught so far are believed to be members of a six-month-old militant network, which could rival the local chapter of Jemaah Islamiah (JI) in its regional ambitions, police sources told the New Straits Times.

The network, said to have about 50 members, is believed to have sent "dozens of Malaysians" to fight in Syria against President Bashar al-Assad and some have died there, Utusan Malaysia said, quoting security sources.

A leader of the group - an "ustaz", or Islamic teacher - was among those arrested, Utusan added.