KUALA LUMPUR - Police said on Wednesday that they have clues on the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 but details cannot be revealed as it may jeopardise investigations.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar also warned that authorities may never learn what caused the mysterious disappearance of flight MH370, as a three-week-old criminal investigation has so far been inconclusive, the Sun Daily reported.
Mr Khalid said the leads to possibly solving the case are linked to one of the four aspects of the investigations - hijack, sabotage, the psychological state of all crew members and their personal issues, according to the report.
"We are sorry but we cannot reveal any details of the case as it may affect prosecution or a trial if there is any in the future,'' the police chief said.
"We are very thorough in our probe. Even the four tonnes of mangosteens in the aircraft cargo is being investigated....Investigators are looking into who ordered them, paid for them and plucked and packed them from an orchard in Muar.
"That is how in-depth this probe is going," he said.
The Sun Daily also quoted the police chief as refuting news reports that a flight simulator belonging to Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah that was subjected to investigations by police and the US Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) has been cleared of any suspicion.
"It may be cleared on one aspect but we have to look into other areas as well. No, it has not been cleared," he said at a press conference after a function at the Police Officers' College on Wednesday.
Mr Khalid said only the 227 passengers on board the flight have been vindicated while the crew members are still under investigations. To date, 170 people have been interviewed, among them family members and acquaintances of the crew and passengers.
He said investigations on the mechanical aspect or airworthiness of the aircraft is being probed by the Department of Civil Aviation and Malaysia Airlines.
He denied claims by a foreign daily that the FBI and Australian authorities had proposed to take over investigations.
"These are all speculations. The agencies from both countries have not written to me or made such requests. Everybody knows their jurisdiction," he said.
He also debunked news reports by foreign dailies that quoted unnamed high-ranking Malaysian police sources, saying such information was mere speculation.
"None of them spoke to my officers and the information in these stories are untrue.
"The Minister of Transport (Datuk Seri Hishamuddin Hussein) is considering suing these news sources for the false information they are disseminating," he said.