KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysia is doing all it can to save the lives of those involved in the Sabah earthquake, Prime Minister Najib Razak has said, according to Bernama.
Mr Najib said on Saturday the quake had shocked the nation and many Malaysians were saddened by the news of the deaths.
"The people are now shocked and saddened by the earthquake that occurred in Ranau, Sabah. All efforts are being taken to rescue the victims of the tragedy," he said in a speech.
The bodies of 11 climbers had been recovered following the 6.0-magnitude quake which struck early Friday in Mount Kinabalu, Sabah’s minister for tourism Masidi Manjun said in a post on Twitter on Saturday. Eight people were still unaccounted for, he said.
A total of 137 climbers, including several foreigners, who had been stranded when the quake struck have safely returned to the park’s headquarters.
Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin on Saturday ordered the National Security Council (NSC) to introduce an early warning system for earthquakes, including for schools, Bernama reported.
Mr Muhyiddin said 23 schools in six districts in Sabah had been affected by the quake.
"I have also ordered the rescue teams to continue with action to rescue all victims, including those who were stranded on Mount Kinabalu," he said, according to Bernama.